SYED MAHDZAR — Stomping Ground

INTRODUCTION
I've been playing bass since I was in secondary school, it was with my classmates playing songs from Metallica and some other metal bands. I was also playing bass and sometimes guitar with my nephew Ayong together with his brother after skateboarding, we would switch instruments during jamming sessions. We would play more to skate punk bands and a bit of metal as well. But what got me into bass was the first time I heard the Red Hot Chilli Peppers song called "Backeyed Blonde" and when I saw Flea playing his bass in the skate movie called Trashin' I definitely wanted to lay my hands on the BASS! I couldn't afford to buy a bass guitar so most of the time I would practise playing bass lines on a 4 string Kapok acoustic guitar, including slapping. The only time I got to play a real bass was when we went to jamming studios. I've never attended any music schools or classes, I learnt playing bass by hearing and from some basic chords from friends.

My main band at that time was Stomping Ground and I have been playing bass with SG since the late 80's. Other current bands that I’m actively playing bass with are BIND and The Bois.

PLAYING STYLE

I don't think that I ever had a creative approach, whatever I play is from the bass players that have made an impact on me, especially Flea. For my sound I always love the low tone more because I'm always in love with the low heavy bottom tone and with a bit of mid & bright. The only warm up that I do is to do DO RE MI scale and thumping my thumb.

MAIN INSTRUMENTS
The only bass that I ever owned was a Ibanez SGR 4 strings with EMG pickups that I bought at Swee Lee. Currently I'm using a Yamaha TRBX 604fm 4 strings bass guitar.

OTHER EQUIPMENT
At home I practise with Ibanez Sound Wave amp and for my current bass driver, I use SansAmp Bass Driver DI V2.

LOCAL BASSISTS YOU FIND INTERESTING
For a local bassist that's inspired me it would be my uncle Syed Hassan, he used to play guitar and keyboard with a local club band called "The Shang". He not only can play electric bass but an upright bass too and because of him I was exposed to one of my other favourite bass players, Mr. Stanley Clark.