LORENZO MAILUM — Coming Up Roses


INTRODUCTION
I've been playing guitar and writing music for the alt-rock/shoegaze band Coming Up Roses since late 2017. Apart from Coming Up Roses, I've done some writing and recording for the electronic act Ailes.

I started off playing classical guitar at the age of 12 but eventually got bored and picked up the electric guitar at 14 after discovering bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden.

PLAYING STYLE
I don't have a unique playing style. I try to serve the song in the best way I can, be it filling out the harmony by strumming/arpeggiating chords or playing the catchiest lead hook that comes to mind. Being in a shoegaze band, I'd describe my sound as immersive and expansive. 

I usually warm up for practice by playing a closed triad on the guitar and spreading them as far as possible up and down a scale across the neck to stretch my fingers. Before playing a show I like to warm up with a beer.

A few of my musical influences include Florence Welch, Bjork, Wes Montgomery and JS Bach.

MAIN INSTRUMENTS
When I started playing electric guitar I had a second hand 1986 MIJ Squier Stratocaster. I dare say the build and sound quality of that guitar could rival that of recent Fender Strats and it felt like I was playing some sort of treasure. Currently, I'm using a Made In Mexico Fender Stratocaster from the Player series. The thinner neck profile makes mobility so much easier, which is crucial in CUR's music where I have to switch a lot between playing leads up high and open chords down low on the fly.

OTHER EQUIPMENT
I use a Source Audio Nemesis and Boss RV-500 to create space and dimension in my playing. Both are controlled via MIDI by my Boss MS-3. These 3 pedals make performing so much easier as I don't have to do a lot of tap dancing. I also use Ableton Live 10 Suite to write, record and practice. 

OTHER LOCAL GUITARISTS/BASSISTS YOU FIND INTERESTING
Andrew Lim. A brilliant guitarist and educator whom I've had the pleasure to study under.

Ailes. Electronic music producer that incorporates Muse-esque riffs and songwriting with dystopian trip hop beats.

Carlos Gervasio. Lead guitarist of the thrash metal band Azerath. 11/10 shreddy boi.

PHOTO ABOVE
My MIM Fender Player Stratocaster I acquired in early 2020. Spent every day of Circuit Breaker with her. Spilled a lot of blood and sweat on her too (not the reason why the pickguard is red).