NOEL ONG — Ugly in the Morning + Welcome to the Machine + Dyrt


INTRODUCTION
Hi I'm Noel. Been playing since I was 18. My main band is Ugly in the Morning. We play funk rock originals. We've recorded 3 albums and are working on our 4th. I also play with Welcome to the Machine, we're a Pink Floyd tribute act. Also Dyrt, we're a grunge tribute act. I jam around with a few other bands but these are the main ones. 

PLAYING STYLE
I primarily play a blues influenced style. Blues rock I guess. Biggest influences are Page, Clapton, Hendrix, Peter Green. But it's weird - your guitar playing is like a sponge, it incorporates so many other influences, whether or not you're aware of it. So the number is too large to mention. I don't warm up. I hate guitar exercises. 

MAIN INSTRUMENTS
I started out as a Les Paul player, but nowadays I'm primarily a Tele guy. Caveat is most of my Teles are double hum Teles. I guess that means I still like that humbucker sound, but now I want it brighter and snappier. I don't have a main guitar; I'm lucky enough to have a few so I can play different guitars for different bands and try and achieve a different sound to match what that band is going for. 

OTHER EQUIPMENT
I have lots and lots of pedals. My main recording amp is a Fuchs Overdrive Special, which is a Dumble copy. Apart from that a have a few other amps, but mostly I play through very clean amps so my pedals provide the drive and sounds that I want. Strings anything also can lah... 

OTHER LOCAL GUITARISTS/BASSISTS YOU FIND INTERESTING
Victor Chen from General Lee is the guitarist I want to grow up to become. I also grew up watching John Chee play with Edgar's Fault at Woodstock bar on the top of Far East Plaza. But, the truth is there are SO MANY really great sg guitarists that it's hard to pin it down... 

PHOTO ABOVE
This was the first 'serious' guitar I bought. It's been with me for 3 decades and still sounds amazing. As far as I can remember it's an 89 Gibson Les Paul 56 reissue but I bought it in 91 for $2k (unbelievable compared to the prices now). Its a pre Custom Shop reissue in that the Gibson Custom Shop didn't exist at that time. EVERYTHING in it is changed. Pickups are Lindy Fralins. Bridge, pots, caps, nut, tuners... it's all changed out. Love this guitar, man.